Health Office

Welcome to GW's Health Office!

Nurse- Julie Stadulis, M.Ed., RN, NJ-CSN
Contact Info- [email protected]

When to Keep Your Child Home
If your child exhibits any of the following symptoms he/she should be kept home: 

- a fever over 100 degrees (orally)
- vomiting or diarrhea
- having difficulty breathing
- a severe cough
- extreme fatigue
- an unusual rash
- redness, itchiness, and discharge from the eyes
- Strep throat, until a negative culture and/or after being treated with an antibiotic for at least 24 hrs

In order to minimize the spread of illnesses, please keep your child home for at least 24 hours after they experience vomiting, diarrhea or a fever of 100 degrees without the use of Tylenol, Advil, etc. These medications will mask but not address the cause of the fever.  The health of our GW community is our top priority.

Absence Notification
The direct line to report an absence is 201-670-2784. You can also call the main # at 201-670-2790 and press 1 (ext. 40699)  Please give the specific reason as to why your child will be absent.  For example, fever, vomiting, Strep throat, diagnosed Flu, etc. 

Illness During School
If a student needs to see the nurse during the school day, they must have a pass from their teacher. If they are too ill to stay in school, the nurse will call the parent/guardian and arrange for them to go home. A student cannot be dismissed without the permission of the nurse.  Students are not allowed to call their parents directly or text them to go home sick.  

Medication in School
If a student requires a prescription or over the counter medication during school hours, the policy is as follows:
  1. A parent/guardian and physician must complete an Authorization for Medication at School form for each medication that a student requires 
  2. This must be completed before the medication can be administered
  3. The medication must be brought to the school nurse in the original prescription bottle or over the counter package properly labeled with the physician's name, child's name, drug, and dosing

Consent for Advil, Tylenol, and Tums can be given electronically on Skyward at the beginning of each school year when updating health and family information.  A district email will be sent at the beginning of each school year when it is time to do so.  These three medications are stocked in the Health Office.  Students do not need to bring in their own supply. 

In the event the nurse is not available, medications, either prescription or OTC, can only be given by the parent/guardian. Medication authorization forms must be completed each school year and are available below. 

Physical Examinations
Please submit a copy of your child's annual physical each year.  Physicals are required for all new students entering Ridgewood Public Schools and all students participating in an interscholastic or intramural sport. Pre-Participation Physical Exam (PPE) forms are available below and in the Health Office. Most area pediatricians use this required NJ form when completing annual exams.  

Physical Education Passes
A student can be excused from Physical Education for up to one week with a note from the parent/guardian. A doctor's note is required to be excused for more than a week. If a student is excused from P.E., they cannot participate in recess or interscholastic sports. P.E. passes are issued in the Health Office before school.

Health Concerns
If a student has a health concern such as Food Allergies or Asthma, the policy is as follows:
  1. A parent/guardian must complete the top portion of the Authorization for Medication consent form and sign the appropriate emergency action plan
  2. The treating physician must complete the appropriate emergency action plan
  3. The emergency medication should be brought to the school nurse in the original package
These forms are required for each school year.  Emergency medications can not be accepted in the Health Office without the completion of these forms.  They are available below.  

Department Announcements

Please click here to read about HPV (Human Papillomavirus).

Meningococcal Invasive Disease
Please click here to read about Meningococcal Invasive Disease. 

Resources for students with no Medical Home/Insurance
Valley Hospital Community Health Free Immunization Clinic
Clinic is offered once a month at Ridgewood Village Hall 
To schedule an appointment call Diane 201-291-6337

Physical exams, TB testing-
Hawthorne Community Care Clinic 
1114 Goffle Rd. Hawthorne

Federally Qualified Health Care Center-
North Hudson Community Action Corporation
535 Midland Ave, Garfield, NJ 07026-1658
Phone: 973-340-1182

Physicals, Vision & Dental Screenings-
North Hudson Community Action Corporation Health Centers
Garfield: 535 Midland Ave, Garfield 973-340-1182
Hackensack: 25 E. Salem St Hackensack 201-464-7844
Englewood: 197 South Van Brunt St Englewood 201-537-4442